Only recently has the buzzword “aftercare” been used as a level of care in addiction treatment. Previously, this part of a treatment plan was referred to as “alumni relations” or even “alumni programs.”
Kipu’s unique position in addiction treatment has given our Agile Development team insight into this very unique and segmented world. It doesn’t exist in behavioral health or any other area, so other EMR’s simply can’t do it. We built (and continue to build) our AfterCare module for addiction treatment with robust features to nurture recovery and ensure compliance with prescribed aftercare requirements.
Kipu has recently added KipuMessenger to expand our telehealth capabilities well into the future.
KipuMessenger will allow us to merge the world of telehealth with long-term aftercare. We know the longer an individual is under care, the less likely it is that they will relapse. KipuMessenger’s unique ability to provide secure communications between doctors, therapists, clinicians, and their patients will revolutionize how those in recovery receive long-term aftercare treatment.
- Send potential patients insurance coverage/VOB information request forms, to be initially filled out by clients, referrers, guardians, and guarantors.
- Securely send a protected and encrypted photo of the insurance card. Patients can even sign a release of information form for you to comply with new insurance requirements.
- It’s returned to Kipu where you can order a VOB Getter immediate electronic VOB or order/manage phone verifications.
- From Kipu EMR (live), you can send assessments, consents, evaluations, questionnaires, surveys, and forms to patients or potential patients to fill out and return as live data.
- Use any form with or without a signature requirement.
- Create weekly surveys, discharge surveys, quality control surveys, aftercare surveys, and outcomes surveys.
- Create your own outcomes and aftercare programs.
- Use KipuMessenger for secure, HIPAA-compliant communication both between staff and direct to your patients.
- Create a care team for each patient in Kipu that flows to KipuMessenger.
- Use instead of texting or email (non-compliant) to communicate transportation details, new arrivals, discharges, assessment status, doctor meetings, etc.
- Your staff can securely communicate with your doctor about a new arrival, med order approval, etc.
From Kipu (live), send and get signatures on any form. This includes signatures from patients, guardians, guarantors, medical records releases, etc. This is an actual signature created with a stylus or fingertip. The actual form with signature is returned to Kipu as a live form, just as if the patient were there signing on an iPad or signature pad. The accreditation agencies prefer this to a pin or electronic click created by DocuSign®. Eliminating the need for DocuSign® will save many organizations as much as $5,000 a year.
Engage in secure, encrypted, HIPAA-compliant telehealth video between the provider, the provider care team, and the patient. It can be done one-to-one or one-to-many. This will later allow group sessions, virtual meetings, support group meetings, etc., as part of our RecoveryBound™ AfterCare program.
- Engage in secure, encrypted, HIPAA-compliant telehealth between the provider care team and the client.
- This will allow therapy sessions, virtual meetings, support meetings, etc. as part of our aftercare system. The possibilities for safe, HIPAA-compliant video are endless and often billable.
- Secure video between staff.
- Telehealth is now a billable service in many states, representing a new income stream.
This may seem simple, but it’s not. The complexity resides in the security requirements. It took six years and nearly $13m to build KipuMessenger, and we interfaced this to Kipu in just a few months.
Any email or text message containing PHI is illegal. For example:
- Between a patient and provider, doctor to doctor, nurse to doctor
- Biller to provider or vice versa
- Emailing of an invoice for a deductible
- Emailing a consent form or any form from provider to parent /guardian for signature
- Emailing a VOB or EOB to or from a biller or office
- Texting a picture of a patient or wound, even between doctors
- Texting or emailing a prescription refill request or prescription refill
- Doctor emailing a scanned PDF of a prescription to a pharmacy
- Doctor emailing a patient file to another doctor for a consultation
Create a FIT program
Kipu Messenger enables you to create a FIT (Feedback Informed Treatment) program for use in addiction treatment and behavioral health.
Studies show that patients will tell an iPad, smartphone, or tablet device more than they often tell their therapist — especially when it comes to treatment progress. Patients often seek approval and friendship from their therapist so they tell the therapist what they want to hear. “I’m doing well. I have not used. I do not have thoughts of suicide.” All of these are examples of ways patients seek approval from their therapists.